Friday, October 8, 2010

Blinded to the Future

by Shelley Hitz

As I sit in a hotel in Broomfield, Colorado (outside Denver), I think again, "What are we doing?"  The enemy bombards me with irrational fears and doubts.   What is ahead?  Will we be able to pay our bills and our mortgage?  How will this all work?

And I don't have a clear answer.  I just have a sense from Jesus to trust Him with what's ahead.

In the last few weeks I've had many powerful times of prayer with friends.  And during those times I've had different friends say they sensed the same thing...that God is blinding us to the details of the future so that we'll be completely dependent on Him.

My friend Bethany said she saw a veil over our future to force us to depend on God and not on our own strength.  Whereas my friend Melissa said she was reminded of Saul (later renamed Paul) who was blinded on the road to Damascus.  When you are blind, you are in a position of humility and dependence on others.  Saul had to depend on others to lead him by the hand to the city.

Acts 9:5-8  "Who are you, Lord?" Saul asked. "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting," he replied. "Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do." The men traveling with Saul stood there speechless; they heard the sound but did not see anyone. Saul got up from the ground, but when he opened his eyes he could see nothing. So they led him by the hand into Damascus.

Thankfully, I am not physically blinded as Saul was.  But, I do feel blinded to the details of the future and what God has for us in ministry.  This forces me to depend on Jesus to lead us by the hand to our next destination.  I am so used to planning, problem-solving and doing.  It's hard to be led.  And yet God is teaching me so much.  Most of my life I have not needed to live by faith.  I knew when the paycheck would be coming in and my schedule was planned out for me.  I'm not saying it is wrong to live like this.  But, God is leading us into a different season of life where I don't know these things.  I don't have control.  And I have to exercise my faith muscles.

Hebrews 11:1 says, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

Did you catch that?  Certain of what we do not see.  Blinded.

What areas in your life do you feel blinded?  I believe God is asking each one of us to trust Him and allow ourselves to be "led by hand," so to speak, to our next destination.  Hand in hand with Jesus, following Him.

Will we choose the path of faith or the path of control? 

Lord, please help me choose the path of faith to the next destination you have for me.  Help me to live for you and follow you during these short years I have on earth.  Help me to fully surrender my control and my way of doing life.  Thank you for being so patient with me.  I love you.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Had I thought you would be this close to my home I would have invited you to stay with us! It would have been wonderful to meet you while you were here.

    ReplyDelete