Friday, October 1, 2010

Do You Believe in Divine Appointments?

by Shelley Hitz

What do I mean by a divine appointment?  I believe a divine appointment is an encounter or meeting with someone which was inspired and led by God.  As I was flying to a recent speaking engagement in North Carolina, I prayed that God would open up divine appointments for me.

I had to drive, park and get into the airport by myself that day as CJ was also traveling and speaking in Connecticut.  So, as I was parking and figuring out where I was going and what I was doing, I was NOT thinking about a divine appointment.  The only thing I was thinking about was getting to my gate on time.

The airport shuttle van stopped to pick me up and the driver was talking on her cell phone as she picked up my bags to put them in the back of the van.  One of my bags was full of books and pretty heavy, so she struggled to get it inside.  After she hung up, she turned and asked me, "Girl...what do you have in that bag?  It's HEAVY!!"  I hesitantly told her that it was filled with books my husband and I wrote and proceeded to tell her that I was traveling to North Carolina to speak to teen girls on God's perspective of sex. 

As I started sharing with her, I felt prompted to ask her if she had any spiritual belief.  She asked what I meant by that.  I said, "For example, do you believe in God, Jesus or are you a Hindu, Buddist..."  Immediately she said, "Oh no, I'm not any of those things.  I believe in God!" 

She then asked me what I thought of the Jehovah Witnesses.  At that moment, my mind went blank and I honestly told her, "You know, I'm not really sure right now.  If my husband was here, he could tell you."  She said that her co-worker gave her one of their bibles.  Immediately God brought back to my mind the difference!  I proceeded to explain to her that Jehovah Witnesses don't believe Jesus was God and so they have changed their bible to reflect their beliefs.  She said someone else had talked to her about that as well and that she didn't want that bible...she wanted the real thing.  And so she had found another bible to read.

I found out her name is Jennifer.  As she pulled up to drop me off at the airport, I asked her if she liked to read.  She said she did and so I asked her if she'd like to read one of our books.  She enthusiastically said yes and I proceeded to pull out one of our "Mathematics of Jesus" books for her.  As I did she showed me a tract about Jesus that someone had given her earlier that day. 

I told her that she must be on God's radar for Him to send two people in one day to talk to her about Jesus.  She agreed and smiled brightly.  She asked when I would be back and I told her the next day.  She said she wouldn't have the book read by then but she would definitely read it.  As I walked away, I glanced back at Jennifer as she was enthusiastically showing the book and re-telling the story to one of her co-workers.

I prayed for a divine appointment and yet when I was least expecting it and NOT looking for it, God opened one up for me!   How about you?  Have you been praying for and looking for the divine appointments with people that God places in your day?  Are you willing to start spiritual conversations with those around you?  I encourage you to ask God to lead you and He will!

"Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul."  Psalm 143:8

1 comment:

  1. That is so amazing, Shelley! How wonderful that God was able to use you in that way. Thank you so much for sharing such an encouraging story with us. I must admit it has been some time since I have even thought about divine appointments. I most certainly believe in them, and use to pray for them, but it has been too long. Thank you for this wonderful reminder.

    ReplyDelete